
Myanmar earthquake: The death toll from the horrific earthquake in Myanmar and Thailand has crossed 1600. Meanwhile, rescuers are doing rescue operations to take out the people trapped in the debris. On the afternoon of Friday (March 28, 2025), a 7.7 magnitude earthquake occurred in the north-west of the city of Sagiing in Central Myanmar, which a few minutes later a second blow of 6.7 magnitude, which caused heavy havoc.
These tremors ruined buildings and important infrastructure including roads and bridges in Myanmar. Mandalay, the country’s second largest city, was also destroyed. Myanmar’s military administration, Junta, said in a statement that 1,644 people were killed and more than 3,400 people were injured in the country. At least 139 people are missing. On the other hand, about 10 more people have been confirmed in Bangkok.
Announcement of Emergency in Myanmar
The Junta chief Min Aung Holiing has appealed to the international community to help the threatened country. This appeal reflects the effect of earthquake. Myanmar has declared emergency in the most affected areas. The United States, India, China and many other countries have promised to help Myanmar.
Myanmar earthquake also impact in Thailand
The intensity of the earthquake can be gauged from the fact that the tremors were so powerful that the buildings located in Bangkok, hundreds of kilometers from the center, suffered serious damage. The centuries -old Buddhist pagoda in Mandley has turned into debris. According to the report, teams and equipment have been ordered from other countries, but they are being interrupted due to the damaged airports of those cities.
Employees in Nipita are trying to repair damaged roads, while electricity, phones and internet services are still interrupted in most parts of the city. In Bangkok, rescuers are making tireless efforts to evacuate people trapped in the debris of a 30 -storey skyscraper. Bangkok Governor Chadachar Cittypunt said that eight people have been confirmed so far in the building collapse, while at least eight others have been rescued. 79 people are still missing in the building.
India sent help
Amid the death and devastation caused by the horrific earthquake in Myanma, India on Saturday delivered 15 tonnes of relief material and sent more supply to the air and sea route with rescue teams under the Emergency Mission ‘Operation Brahma’. Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke to Myanma’s military general Min Aung Having and said that India stands with him in solidarity in efforts to deal with the devastation caused by the fierce earthquake in the country.
India has named its rescue operation for Myanma as ‘Operation Brahma’. A few hours after India transported 15 tonnes of necessary relief material to Yangon from a military transport aircraft, another military aircraft landed with a group of rescue personnel and landed in Myanmar’s capital Nependita.
Also read: Myanmar Earthquake: Myanmar devastated by earthquake, number of dead above 1000, know the latest situation